Sunday, September 16, 2012

Preparing for 70.3

If you've been reading my blog you have probably noticed a pattern. I am a busy guy who tends to get ready for races much later than when I would like. This is a change that I need to make for the 2013 season. Especially with the number of races I plan on doing. Unfortunately training for the SuperiorMan was no exception to my procrastination. I struggled with doing the work while I was working all day everyday at summer camp, and settled for a plan of about 3 six mile runs a week. I finished camp with 3 weeks to go before the race. Not a whole lot of time to build a lot of endurance.

The good thing was that my run was still in pretty fair condition so my main focus was miles on the bike and getting in the pool for some workouts. I hit training hard doing at least 2 workouts a day, which meant being very lazy in between. With working out at least 3 hours a day I knew I could get my body ready to do this race. I put in some great long distance bike/run blocks simulating my goal paces as well as near to race distance bike rides all the while practicing some race nutrition.

Once again my bad luck struck. On a 50 mile bike ride I lost control going over a gravel patch on a turn and went down. I bruised muscles in my hip and butt and had scrapes all over my left side. One week before the race. I hate to say it but this was the closest I had come to quitting this sport, I have gotten so sick of my rotten luck during the summers and the races with injuries, personal life issues, equipment problems, and just lack of time to commit to training. It feels like I am having one pitfall after another...

I didn't quit. But I did, however, suffer from the situation. I was basically unable to train other than swimming for the next week. Which was no good with a 70.3 mile race looming.

But what happens happens and all we have to do is give our best efforts in spite of what cards have been dealt to us. So I packed up my college stuff and moved in to my apartment just as planned a few days before the race and then met up with my girlfriend and headed to Duluth. It was go time.

No comments:

Post a Comment